Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Week 2

Last week was week 2 of the composition character piece cycle, and I debuted my first piece. I found this piece really hard to create. I had a lot of thoughts and ideas but none of them seemed to materialized as I wanted them to on paper (or computer screen). I figured that at this stage, the best thing for me to do was to play what I have, and then get some feedback. I decided to pick the character "fear". I tried to display this through the repeated use of semitones and the unpredictable cluster chords in the piano leading up to the end. When I presented this piece in class I got some very helpful feedback. It was suggested that I use the more of the piano itself, and take advantage of the fact that it is a piano and not a single-tone instrument. Also, I was told it was a little short, but a lot of my ideas in the piece could be expanded on. For example, the semitones in measure 7 could be extended into a more complex echo, using different chords and notes than just the C# and D I have now.

1 comment:

Clark Ross said...

Good journal entry, Megan! Looking forward to hearing your revisions and your next piece!