Sunday, September 28, 2008

Week #3

This week I wrote my second character piece. I was really frustrated with the first, and didn't really know where to start work on it, so I'm going to leave that until last and then go back to it for revisions. This week I feel like I had a lot more success with my composition. While once again it took a while to get the creative process started, once it did, things fell fairly easily into place. While I didn't discuss it in class, I created this piece based on falling asleep while listening to the rain. I used a repeated F note to represent the sleep, and this was represented through both the piano and violin part. The F note is constantly heard through the piece with one two-measure exception (which reflected stirring from the noise of the rain). I felt like this piece was recieved a lot more positively than the last one. I recieved a lot of helpful comments, like the fact that I could have used more of the piano/violin alternating in the staccato and pizzicato. I only had this for one measure, but I was told maybe that it could be more. I was also made aware of more violin tones and techniques. I don't know much about violin (or strings in general really) so I found this very helpful and I'll definintely experiment more with these ideas in the next piece.

1 comment:

Clark Ross said...

Good journal entry. It would be worth it to have a quick look through the violin section of an orchestration textbook, just to give you more ideas about what it can do.